1. See things from your partner’s point of view.
2. Count to 50 before you say anything incendiary. This pause will help you calm down just long enough to think better of it.
3. Don’t throw verbal bombs. Avoid put-downs, personal attacks, judgments, criticism, and blaming – as well as sulking, interrupting, and stomping out of the room.
4. Ask yourself if you can – and should – solve the problem on your own.
5. Skip heavy conversations before breakfast and from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. – because nobody should argue on an empty stomach. And ban problem-solving talks after about 8 p.m. Fatigue starts many fights!