Grilled watermelon, who knew? These easy grilling ideas will be unexpected hits at your summer barbecues.
Recipe: Steak with Tangy Caper Relish
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: about 10 minutes
4 sirloin steaks, about 250 g each
olive oil for brushing and drizzling
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
red wine vinegar for drizzling
150 g mixed salad leaves
2 tablespoons capers
1 jar chargrilled capsicum strips, about 250 g
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Brush the steaks lightly with the oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- To make the caper relish, chop the capers, then combine in a small bowl with the capsicum strips, some oil from the jar and the vinegar.
- Preheat a barbecue hotplate or grill rack to high. Add the steaks and cook on the hotplate or grill rack over direct heat, without turning, for 3–4 minutes, or until small beads of moisture appear on top. Turn the steaks and continue to cook until done to your liking. Remove the steaks from the heat and leave to rest for 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the salad leaves in a bowl, drizzle lightly with some oil and vinegar and toss.
- Top the steaks with a spoonful of the caper relish and serve with the mixed salad leaves.
Looking for more great advice? Sign up to our newsletter for more useful tips, delivered straight to your inbox.
Use these insider chef tips for grilling just like a pro—and your meat will taste just like those steakhouse favorites.
Here are some helpful ways to host a barbecue without spending a fortune.
This year, lighten up your BBQ menu without sacrificing flavor. Here are 5 easy tips to eat healthy this BBQ season.
Sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and herbs create a Mediterranean flavour, and a fresh chilli and tomato salsa adds extra zip. Making your own burgers is so worthwhile, as they're much lower in fat than most ready-made burgers, and you can flavour them as you please.
Extra greasy or über healthy, creative gourmet with scads of cool toppings, or just a plain classic cheeseburger… the sky’s the limit when it comes to the possibilities between the buns. Grab some fries, don't forget the ketchup and bring extra napkins for Canada’s best hamburger restaurants.
Fire up the barbecue and prepare for a taste explosion, because we've found five gourmet burgers from across the country that are sure to put your backyard grill on the map.
Sneak a peek of the action at Reader Digest's Great Canadian Burgers photo shoot.
Before your fish hits the grill, bathe it in flavour with any of these these succulent marinade recipes.
Join Reader's Digest Food Editor Valerie Howe as she visits celebrity chef Marc Picard to learn about his decadent burger recipe.
Think you know what makes a great tasting steak? Improve your cut this grilling season with these simple tips.
With BBQ season set to begin, test your knowledge of the world of burgers with this fun 12-question quiz.
Enjoy a better barbecue this summer with these hot new grills and accessories.
Move beyond the ketchup-mustard-relish trio this grilling season with these spicy new burger condiment ideas.
Our editors set out to create some of the tastiest, most creative and downright different burgers, and the results were…interesting. Feast on a fish burger, chow down on a cheeseburger, and get grilling tips from the big man himself, Editor in Chief Robert Goyette, with these Editor’s Custom-Made burger tips and recipes.