Number of servings : 8
Prep time: 12 minutes
Cooking time: 18 to 24 minutes
Type of meal : | Side Dishes | Side Dishes
Special diet :
4 medium Idaho potatoes
6 tablespoons (90 mL) canola oil or olive oil
3 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons (30 mL) matzoh meal
2 teaspoons (10 mL) kosher salt
½ teaspoon (3 mL) coarse black pepper
Applesauce or sour cream (optional)
- Prepare a large bowl filled with cold water
- Peel potatoes, and as you finish each, place in cold water to prevent browning.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise into halves or quarters so they fit into food processor feed tube. Process potatoes using the blade that creates thin, shoestring-like strips and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add eggs, matzoh meal, salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Drop 6 to 8 spoonfuls of mixture into hot oil. Using the back of a spoon, pat down each latke to flatten it. Put as many as you can in the skillet without crowding. Putting them too close together will make them soggy.
- Fry 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until golden and crisp around the edges; repeat procedure until finished with all the batter.
- Blot excess oil with paper towels.
- Serve warm with applesauce or sour cream, if desired.
Tip: Corn meal is a great substitute for matzoh meal and will also make your latkes nice and crispy.