It doesn’t take a lot to plan your getaway. Start off with some ground rules and then pick your destination.
Rules to Follow
- Arrange for reliable babysitting for the two-legged as well as four-legged kids.
- Remember to hang your mom or dad cap at door on your way out (it will still be there when you get back home).
- Resist the urge to check emails, voice mails messages. Being plugged into your electronics is a real romance-killer. Work can do wait.
- Pick something you both like to do but stay flexible. If you have different interests then combination packages are often a success. For example, one partner can go golfing, the other one heads to the spa and you meet up in the evening to share the sunset.
- Relax, unwind and enjoy the company of your partner.
Sometimes you just need to let someone else pamper you while you relax. Cruises can be a great option since you don’t have the hassle of driving. Train travel is also making a come back. Not only is it romantic but it’s enviro-friendly!
For some real homemade romance, hop on board The Canadian. This Via Rail train runs from Toronto to Vancouver and there is plenty of fantastic scenery to enjoy. You can get off anywhere you want by requesting a special stop. Bump up the heat by choosing the Romance By Rail package and get breakfast in bed. If you want to go in the opposite direction, then book a passage on The Chaleur. It leaves Montreal to travel the St. Lawrence River on the Gaspé side into the majestic Matapedia Valley.
Hugs and Kisses On a Budget
If time and money are tight, choose a nearby destination for a three-day weekend. Pick a theme or activity you love to do and then check online for travel bargains. Be creative and imaginative.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Back to Nature: Why not rent a log cabin away from it all? Almost every province has getaway retreats with cosy two bedroom cottages equipped with fireplaces and other amenities. You can curl up together and fall in love all over again. The rental may also include access to the ski hill, nature trail or some other outdoor adventure. For those who like the idea of a log cabin but crave some luxury, the Fairmont Chateau Montebello may be the answer. This is the world’s largest log cabin made from 10,000 cedar logs equipped with a first class hotel and spa.
- Urban Package: Create a romantic staycation. Off season is a great time to find reduced rates for luxury suites in your hometown. (Be sure to ask for the honeymoon suite.) Not only will you save on gas, but you’ll have more time to unwind and relax. Plan to be tourists and visit all those places you’ve been meaning to see but never got around to them. Expedia or Travelocity are good sites to star with.
- Be Spontaneous: Share an unexpected adventure together. If location doesn’t matter then be why not try for a last minute deal? Clear your calendar, book your babysitter, back you bag and jump online to find cheap trip to some place appealing to both of you. Whether it’s an all-inclusive resort, a cruise, or just the flight, there are some terrific deals to be found. Start your search at Last Minute Travel or Priceline can get you started.
If you enjoyed this article, be sure to sign up for This Week on readersdigest.ca newsletter and have our latest articles delivered right to your inbox.