10 Tips for Setting Your Holiday Table
You need to set a festive table, but you’re on a tight budget. Although the holidays can be a costly affair, it is possible to decorate your dinner table beautifully while saving money.
Here are 10 ideas for setting an elegant table using items you have on hand in the house and yard.
1. Fold a crisp, flat bedsheet in half and iron lengthwise for a classic, white tablecloth.
2. Gather tall, barren twigs from your yard and wrap in wide holiday ribbon or twine.
3. Pile fresh fruit in a solid-coloured salad bowl as your centrepiece.
4. Trim spruce boughs and weave them down the centre of your table. Fill gaps with festive fruit like lemons, apples and pears, or pinecones and pomegranates.
5. Weave ribbon down the length of the spruce boughs and let the ends hang down on either end of the table.
6. Float tea lights in water inside three dessert/cereal bowls tucked throughout the boughs.
7. Put an ornament from your tree at each place setting. Write guests’ names on paper and attach to hook.
8. Take five identical ornaments from your tree and suspend from your chandelier with invisible wire at varying heights.
9. Pick miniature, bendable twigs and tie around serviettes for an organic napkin-ring holder.
10. Tie tiny bows with ribbon on the handles of your guests’ post-meal coffee mugs for a sweet, festive touch.
If you enjoyed this article, be sure to sign up for This Week on readersdigest.ca newsletter and have our latest articles delivered right to your inbox.