Do-it-Yourself Carpet Cleaning
5 tips to a cleaner carpet
- 1. If you have a lot of carpet, cleaning it using a machine, rather than doing it by hand, will get the job done faster.
- 2. Once or twice a year, depending on how dirty it is, hire a shampooer and buy the appropriate products (check with the manufacturer before shampooing wool).
- 3. Always work from front to back, starting with the part that is the furthest away from the door, to avoid walking on a damp carpet.
- 4. If you don’t have time to do more than one room at a time, use dry shampoo as a temporary measure. Sprinkle your carpet with bicarbonate of soda, let it dry for about 15 minutes, then vacuum it up.
- 5. If you have very high quality carpet, call in a professional carpet cleaner every 2-3 years for a really thorough job.