Here are five tips to ensure you take extra good care of your mattress.
1. Rotate your mattress. Most people tend to sleep in the same spot on their mattress every night. This can lead to uneven wear on the coil springs that provide support. To minimize this wear and to maximize comfort, manufacturers recommend that you turn your mattress every two weeks in the first three months after purchase. After that, turn it every two months. To turn a mattress, rotate it head to foot and then flip it over. Further disperse wear patterns by rotating or flipping only on occasion.
2. Use a high quality, washable mattress pad to keep your mattress free from stains.
3. Use a bed frame to keep your mattress from sagging in the centre. King- or queen-size sets should have a centre support to prevent bowing or breakage.
4. Clean stains with mild detergent or soap and a clean cotton cloth dampened with cold water. Don’t use volatile chemical removers, as they can degrade the mattress fabric and underlying materials.
5. Don’t allow your children (or adults!) to jump on your bed. Roughhousing can damage your mattress.
Get more home and gardening tips when you sign up for our weekly newsletters.