- Visit a tea merchant, in person or on the Internet; ask for their advice to introduce you to this expansive world.
- Try a variety of teas with different aromas and tastes to establish your preferences; start with a dozen to decide on your tastes. You will prefer certain ones, your friends will love others; keep those you prefer and give the others to friends.
- Treat yourself and buy a lovely clay Yixing or ceramic Japanese teapot, a few small cups and a serving tray.
- Brew one full teaspoon of tea per 250 mL of hot water for about seven minutes; adjust to your taste. It is normal for tea to taste slightly bitter because of the polyphenols.
- Schedule tea breaks at home or at work.
- Choose a relaxing and soothing environment for enjoying this fine beverage.
- Savour this moment of introspection if you are drinking tea by yourself.
- Relish this moment of friendship if you are sharing it with a friend.
- Treasure this moment of culture and humanity, with 20 centuries of history behind it.
If you enjoyed this article, be sure to sign up for our weekly food newsletter and receive more recipes, cooking tips and articles on healthy eating.