Recipe: Steak with Tangy Caper Relish
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: about 10 minutes
4 sirloin steaks, about 250 g each
olive oil for brushing and drizzling
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
red wine vinegar for drizzling
150 g mixed salad leaves
2 tablespoons capers
1 jar chargrilled capsicum strips, about 250 g
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Brush the steaks lightly with the oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- To make the caper relish, chop the capers, then combine in a small bowl with the capsicum strips, some oil from the jar and the vinegar.
- Preheat a barbecue hotplate or grill rack to high. Add the steaks and cook on the hotplate or grill rack over direct heat, without turning, for 3-4 minutes, or until small beads of moisture appear on top. Turn the steaks and continue to cook until done to your liking. Remove the steaks from the heat and leave to rest for 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the salad leaves in a bowl, drizzle lightly with some oil and vinegar and toss.
- Top the steaks with a spoonful of the caper relish and serve with the mixed salad leaves.