Makes one 10-inch cake
Prep: 15 minutes Cooking:
Keep 3-4 days
½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
¼ firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Mix the topping ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle into the prepared pan.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder baking soda and salt in another large bowl.
4. Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until creamy.
5. Add the eggs, one at a time, until just blended after each addition.
6. With a mixer at low speed, gradually beat in the dry ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk.
7. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
8. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
9. Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes. Then turn out onto a rack and let cool completely.