How to Replace Wiper Blades in 6 Steps
Changing your windshield wiper blades is not as difficult as it may look. Make sure your wipers always provide maximum vision while you drive with these step-by-step instructions from the auto experts at NAPA Canada.
Car Maintenance 101: How to Replace Wiper Blades
What You’ll Need:
- New wiper blades with the correct length and attachment type
- Cloth for windshield protection
- Small screwdriver
Before You Begin:
Make sure you are familiar with your wiper system’s design. If you are able to lift the wiper arms off the windshield, extend them towards the front of the vehicle (they will stay in this position). If your wipers are designed differently, position the blades vertically on the windshield. To do this, turn the wipers on, then shut off the ignition key when the wiper blades are positioned vertically.
1. Place a soft cloth between the glass and wiper blades. This will prevent scratches.
2. The release tabs allow you to remove the blade assembly from the arm. Use your small screwdriver to release the retaining mechanism. On older vehicles, you may need to loosen or remove a tab or screw.
3. Place your old blades aside.
4. Follow the steps that come with the new blades, located either on the back of the package or the instruction sheet in the box.
5. Once you’ve replaced the blades, lower the wipers back to the glass and remove the cloth.
6. Operate the wipers to be sure they are attached properly.
For more great tips on how to maintain your car and to find the parts you need, visit NAPA Canada.