While the internet has made a significant impact on the way many of us book a holiday, the specialist knowledge of a professional travel agent should not be underestimated.
Here are some tips from the experts:
- Don’t show up without having at least some idea about the type of holiday you want. You’d be surprised how many people come in with no destination or dates in mind.
- Always challenge us to match deals you have seen advertised in the media or with other agencies. We are happy to investigate and can help qualify the travel terms and conditions and assess the fine print.
- If you’re just booking a simple point-to-point flight within Canada and on a budget, don’t bother using us. It’s usually simpler and cheaper doing it directly with the airline.
- We are here to create the holiday of your dreams, even if you are on a budget. Be honest about your expectations and what you can afford. It’s our job to make your dollar go further.
- Shop around for travel insurance. There are great deals available online, which we often can’t match. Let us qualify the inclusions and conditions. We care that you are adequately covered and never travel without it.
- Let us help you navigate your frequent-flyer points and their equations and tell you about special points deals, to ensure you make the best use of your points.
- Stick with one travel agent who is passionate about what they do, and build a relationship.
- Don’t be shy when it comes to asking about our affiliations and membership of industry associations. Agents who have held their status in this ever-changing industry are proud to boast about their partnerships and staying power.
- If you really want to go it alone then just remember that unlike us, the internet doesn’t care about layover times, or even what an airport is like if you have to hang around for 20 hours to wait for a connecting flight.
- Be careful which sites you use to book your flights or hotels – stick to reputable sites such as Expedia or Trip Advisor.
- If things go wrong, the internet will never replace good old-fashioned service.
- Our know-how can go a long way, particularly if you have a complicated itinerary or are traveling for the first time.
If you enjoyed this article, be sure to sign up for This Week on readersdigest.ca newsletter and have our latest articles delivered right to your inbox.