Number of servings : 4
Type of meal : | Side Dishes | Side Dishes
Special diet : | Vegetarian
Nonstick cooking spray
250 mL (1 cup) apple cider
1 mL (1/4 tsp) salt
1 mL (1/4 tsp) black pepper
0.5 mL (1/8 tsp) ground cloves
15 mL (1 tbsp) unsalted margarine
2 medium-size sweet potatoes (about 310 g/2/3 lb), peeled and sliced 3 mm (1/8 in) thick
2 medium-size baking potatoes, (about 375 g/3/4 lb), peeled and sliced 3mm (1/8 in) thick
- Preheat the oven to 230°C (450°F). Coat a 1 L (1 quart) ovenproof glass casserole, and a sheet of aluminum foil just large enough to cover it, with the cooking spray; set aside.
- In a small heavy saucepan, bring the apple cider, salt, pepper, and cloves to a boil; cook, uncovered, until the cider has boiled down to 125 mL (1/2 cup) — about 5 minutes; set aside.
- Melt the margarine in another small saucepan. On the bottom of the casserole, arrange a single layer of the sweet potatoes, drizzle with 2 mL (1/2 tsp) of the melted margarine, and spoon 22 mL (1 1/2 tbsp) of the cider over them. Cover the sweet potato layer with a layer of the baking potatoes. Using your hands, press the potato layers firmly together. Continue to build and compress 5 more layers of the potatoes, margarine, and cider in the same fashion.
- Place the foil directly on top of the potatoes, then place a weight, such as a heavy lid, on the foil. Bake on the lowest rack of the oven for 45 minutes. Transfer to the floor of the oven and cook for 5 minutes or until the bottom layer of potatoes is crusty and browned.
- Cool the casserole upright on a wire rack for 3 minutes; with a spatula, gently loosen the potatoes around the edges and invert onto a heated serving platter.
Imported on 2011-01-20 16:41:26 — Original ID:225