Rhubarb Custard Bars
“Once I tried these rich, gooey bars, I just had to have the recipe so I could make them for my family and friends. The shortbread-like crust and the rhubarb and custard layers inspire people to find rhubarb that they can use to fix a batch for themselves.” —Shari Roach, South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|3dozen||25minutes||50minutes + chilling|
|50minutes + chilling|
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 7 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large eggs room temperature, beaten
- 5 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb thawed and drained
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream whipped
- In a bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, combine sugar and flour in a bowl. Whisk in cream and eggs. Stir in the rhubarb. Pour over crust. Bake at 350° until custard is set, 40-45 minutes. Cool.
- For topping, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; fold in whipped cream. Spread over top. Cover and chill. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Heavy whipping cream gives custard fillings a luscious, decadent texture, but half-and-half cream or whole milk can be substituted with nice results.
- This is a potluck hero: It makes a mountain of bars. If you're cooking for a smaller crew, however, just halve the recipe and use a 9- or 8-inch square baking dish.
- If you prefer your bars on the tart side, bump up the rhubarb to 6 or 6-1/2 cups or reduce the sugar in the filling to 1-1/2 cups.
- Go full garden party for your friends and family by adding the seeds of one vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon rosewater to the filling. Both flavours pair beautifully with rhubarb and take these already fab bars to another level.
1 bar: 198 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fibre), 2g protein.