Number of servings :
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Type of meal : | Salads | Salads
Special diet : | Vegetarian
750 mL (3 cups) water
500 g (1 lb) fresh asparagus
125 mL (1/2 cup) white-wine vinegar
2 mL (1/2 tsp) salt
2 mL (1/2 tsp) dried thyme leaves, crumbled
16 mushroom caps
8 small romaine lettuce leaves
30 mL (2 tbsp) slivered pimiento or roasted red bell pepper
30 mL (2 tbsp) extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large skillet, bring water to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, snap the tough ends off asparagus. If desired, peel the lower half of each asparagus spear.
- Add the asparagus to the boiling water; reduce the heat to moderate and cook the asparagus until just crisp-tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the asparagus from the boiling water to a plate lined with paper towels; set it aside to cool. Meanwhile, add vinegar, salt, and thyme leaves to the water in the skillet. Bring the mixture to a boil and add mushrooms. Return the mixture to a boil. Remove the mushroom mixture from the heat and let it cool.
- To serve, line each of four individual salad plates with two romaine leaves, overlapping to form a fan shape. Pat the asparagus dry and arrange it in a fan shape over the romaine.
- Drain the mushrooms and toss with pimientos. Arrange the mushroom mixture at the base of the asparagus stems. Drizzle oil over the asparagus and mushroom mixture, and serve immediately.
Imported on 2011-01-20 16:41:26 — Original ID:215