“With creamy filling and fudgy frosting, this chocolate eclair recipe is extra special.” —Jessica Campbell, Viola, Wisconsin
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|9servings||45minutes||35minutes + cooling|
|35minutes + cooling|
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter cubed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 2-1/2 cups cold whole milk
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding mix 5.1 ounces
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 oz semisweet chocolate
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1-1/4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 to 3 tbsp hot water
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Using a tablespoon or a pastry tube with a #10 or large round tip, form dough into nine 4x1-1/2-in. strips on a greased baking sheet. Bake 35-40 minutes or until puffed and golden. Remove to a wire rack. Immediately split eclairs open; remove tops and set aside. Discard soft dough from inside. Cool eclairs.
- In a large bowl, beat milk and pudding mix according to package directions. In another bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Beat in sugar and vanilla; fold into pudding. Fill eclairs (chill any remaining filling for another use).
- For frosting, in a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Stir in sugar and enough hot water to achieve a smooth consistency. Cool slightly. Frost eclairs. Store in refrigerator.
1 each: 483 calories, 28g fat (17g saturated fat), 174mg cholesterol, 492mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fibre), 7g protein.