How You Can Travel Like Royalty
Although Meghan Markle will never be called “Princess Meghan” thanks to British monarchy protocol and its intricate technicalities, that won’t stop her from living like a princess once she marries into the family of her intended, Prince Harry. And one thing that goes with living like a princess is travelling like a royal. If you want the royal experience, here’s what it takes:
- Have a huge travel budget: Although the British royal family, like most families, has limitations, they’re minimal: According to Hello Magazine, the royal travel budget was $5.8 million in 2017.
- Expect your destination to pick up your expenses: The countries that royals visit often pay for some of the travel costs.
- Travel by private jet: Sometimes the royals also fly commercial, but pretty much only British Airways. (Here’s what you need to know about Canadian airlines.)
- Travel with a full staff and security entourage: The royals never travel without their full squad of trained professionals, sometimes as many as a dozen deep. (Check out these eight London landmarks frequented by Princess Diana.)
- Stay in the swankiest locales: For their honeymoon, Prince William and Duchess Kate visited The Seychelles (a small republic in the Indian Ocean), and stayed in a villa that costs $7,995 nightly, according to Fodor’s Travel. Duchess Kate’s rumoured favourite Caribbean vacation spot is Mustique, where renting a private home can cost upwards of $30,000 a week.
- Hobnob with A-listers: Think heads of state, rock stars, movie stars, sports stars, etc. Of course, Meghan Markle is already a Hollywood star in her own right, and according to the Daily Mail, Duchess Kate was starstruck at the thought of meeting her.
Unless you have the funds, travelling like a member of the royal family will be tough. You could take small steps, like visiting these hotels for music lovers. It’s totally affordable!
Originally published as What It Takes to Travel Like Royalty, According to British Royal Family Experts on ReadersDigest.com.