Our Canada

A Long and Winding and Twisty Road

This is my first blog in two months. The last time I wrote, it was about getting over a nasty bout of the flu. At the risk of this becoming some sort of “medical minute with Maryanne” type of blog, I just have to share what’s been happening to me over the last few weeks.
When last we met, I smugly stated that I was on the mend and that next year I’d be getting the flu shot, end of story. That was a Friday afternoon in mid-March, here we are on a Friday afternoon in mid-May.
I wish there was a harrowing tale to tell with a long list of interesting and mysterious symptoms… nope, I’ve just been dizzy for eight weeks. Eight long, frustrating, queasy, mind-numbingly boring weeks.
I woke up on a Sunday morning, tried to get out bed, noticed that the ceiling seemed to be where the floor should be and lay back down. I won’t bore you with a blow-by-blow account of the last two months, mostly because every day followed basically the same pattern: wake up, call my boss, “Yup, still dizzy” lie back down and stare at the ceiling. On good days, I’d make it all the way down the hall to the living room, holding on to the walls like a drunken sailor in a storm. Occasionally I’d lose my balance and walk into a door just to keep things interesting.
During this fun-filled, carefree time, I got to leave the house about once a week or so to go to the doctor. I saw my GP; an ENT (ear, nose and throat specialist) had a CT scan of my brain (apparently, it’s “unremarkable” which was quite a blow) and got a referral to a neurologist.
Here are all the new medical terms I learned: Labrynthitis, vestibular migraine, and my personal favourite, non-classical BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). Translation? You’re dizzy and someday, hopefully, you won’t be.
Luckily, my hubby was great through it all; he had to help me do everything as moving my head caused intense vertigo—remember those toys, the Weebles? That was me; “Weebles wobble but they don’t fall down!”
I was finally able to come back to work part time last week and I have never been so happy to see my desk. (I have to take a moment here to thank Gary and Johanna, my boss and co-worker respectively. We are a very small team and when one of us is absent, the others have a lot of extra work to do—they never once complained or made me feel bad, so thanks, guys.)
I’m not symptom-free yet, but I am getting better every day. The mornings are a bit tricky but as the day goes on, I feel more and more “stable” and I look forward to the morning when I open my eyes and the floor and ceiling are exactly where they’re supposed to be.
I’d be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced “inner ear” problems that caused dizziness and lack of balance. What was the diagnosis? How did you cope? Weigh in below. And now it’s time to weave my way home, have a great long weekend all. 

Posted by: Maryanne on Fri. 2012-05-18 1:05pm

No votes yet

Post a comment

Post a comment

  • Digg
  • Delicious
  • Heart
  • Mail
  • Print
Type the characters you see in this picture. (verify using audio)
Type the characters you see in the picture above; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.

Your Comments