- 1 gray hooded sweatshirt
- 1 pair gray sweatpants
- 1 roll of silver insulation
- 1 paper paint bucket, 5-quart size
- 2 foam kneepads with elastic holders
- 4 black shoelaces, 27 inches each
- 6 yards elastic cord
- 1 roll clear tape, 2 inches wide
- 1 shield
- 1 sword
1. To make the armor, start with the leg pieces. You need to cut out of the insulation two cuisse pieces to cover the thighs and two greave pieces to cover the shins. The kneepads will cover the knees. Measure your child’s legs and cut pieces in the shapes shown above left.
2. Punch holes in the insulation pieces as shown in the photograph. Punch two holes in top of each kneepad and two holes at the bottom. Thread a 30-inch elastic cord through top of each cuisse piece and each greave piece. Tread a 24-inch elastic cord through one bottom and one top kneehole on the left side and then repeat on the right side. Use these cords to attach kneepads to cuisse and greave pieces as shown on facing page. Fit these pieces over the sweatpants. Tighten the knee elastic and tie it off.
3. To make the breastplate, or cuirass, cut a piece of silver insulation 16 x 36 inches according to the photograph at left. Fold under side edges 1 inch and tape down. Curve bottom ends and tape down. Cut center back opening and neck opening. Punch four holes on each side of back opening. Thread laces as shown in photograph at left and tie. Glue shield to center of front.
4. To make helmet, trace sides and top of bucket on paper to make a pattern. Add 1 inch on each edge, cut out pattern, and use to cut out silver insulation. Cut face opening in bucket, according to photograph bottom left. Carefully glue silver insulation all around bucket. Cut face opening in insulation, leaving 1 inch extra to fold back and glue. Turn under top and bottom edges of silver insulation and glue down. Glue round insulation piece to top.
If you enjoyed this article, be sure to sign up for This Week on readersdigest.ca newsletter and have our latest articles delivered right to your inbox.