Number of servings :
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Type of meal : | Soups | Soups
Special diet :
1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
7 oz (200 g) onions, sliced
3 lb (1.3 kg) pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, and cut into chunks
4½ oz (125 g) extra-trimmed smoked back bacon, diced
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 pint (7 fl oz /750 mL) vegetable stock
Salt and black pepper to taste
Sprigs of fresh coriander for garnish
Crusty bread rolls (optional)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onions. Stir to coat them with oil, then cover and cook them over a low heat for 5-10 minutes until they start to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add the pumpkin, bacon, and cumin to the pan. Stir, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock, raise the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender.
- Purée the soup with a hand-held mixer or in a food processor.
- Season to taste, garnish with coriander and black pepper, and serve, accompanied by a crusty bread roll, if you like.
Variation: If fresh pumpkin is unavailable, use 15 oz (425 g) canned, unsweetened pumpkin, usually found on supermarkets’ canned fruit shelves.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:3189