- Recipe and image courtesy of the California Strawberry Commission
Strawberry and Fava Bean Salad with Pecorino
2 cups shelled fresh fava beans (about 2lbs in pods)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups fresh California strawberries, stemmed and quartered
3 cups arugula
Kosher or sea salt
Coarsely ground black pepper
1. In a large pot over high heat, bring 4 cups (1L) of water to a boil.
2. Add a pinch of salt and the fava beans.
3. Boil 1 minute; drain and cool fava beans in ice water.
4. Drain fava beans; pinch one end and slip off skins. Discard skins.
5. Whisk together olive oil, vinegar and lemon juice.
6. In a large bowl, season shelled fava beans and strawberries with salt and pepper.
7. Add arugula and enough dressing to coat salad lightly.
8. Mix gently and spoon onto a platter or 6 salad plates.
9. With a vegetable peeler, shave cheese generously over salad.
10. Grind more pepper on top.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Sign up to our Food newsletter for lots of more great recipes every week.