Ingredients2 bags, 284 g (10 oz) each, spinach, trimmed, washed and dried
50 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves, garlic, chopped
6 dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
1 475 g container, ricotta cheese, drained
250 ml (1 cup / 120 g) feta cheese, crumbled
2 ml (½ tsp) ground nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
600 g (1 lb 5 oz) Pizza Dough, in 4 equal pieces
250 ml (1 cup) commercial tomato sauce
1 egg yolk, beaten
- In a large skillet, wilt the spinach in half the oil. Cool, drain well and set aside. In the same skillet, wilt the onion and garlic in the remaining oil. Cool and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 220ºC / 425ºF.
- In a bowl, combine the cooked vegetables, dried tomatoes, cheeses, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- On a floured work surface, stretch out each piece of dough to make four 18 cm (7 in) circles. Shake off excess flour.
- On half of each circle, spread 50 ml / 1/4 cup of tomato sauce, leaving a 2.5 cm (1 in) border. Add one-quarter of the spinach-cheese filling, fold over and pinch well to seal.
- Pierce the top of each calzone with a fork and brush with egg yolk.
- Transfer carefully to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Sign up to our Food newsletter for lots of more great recipes every week.