Advanced search >>
- Cook Time: 1 ½ hour
In a large pot of boiling water, cook the pasta according to package directions until firm-tender. Add the asparagus for the last 2 minutes of cooking time. Drain. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the onions, sugar, oregano, and black pepper, and sauté for 12 minutes or until the onions are light golden and very tender.
Add the bell pepper and ham, and cook for 5 minutes or until the pepper is crisp-tender. Add the drained pasta and asparagus, the broth, lemon zest, and salt, and simmer until the pasta is heated through. Stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, until lightly thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil and lemon juice.
Makes 4 servings.
- 284 g (10 oz) bow-tie pasta
- 341 g (3/4 lb) asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2.5 cm (1 inch) lengths
- 10 mL (2 tsp) olive oil
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 5 mL (1 tsp) sugar
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) dried oregano
- 1 mL (1/4 tsp) black pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 cm (1/2 inch) squares
- 114 g (4 oz) smoked ham, cut into 5 mm (1/4 inch) dice
- 150 mL (2/3 cup) chicken broth
- 3 mL (3/4 tsp) grated lemon zest
- 1 mL (1/4 tsp) salt
- 5 mL (1 tsp) cornstarch blended with 15 mL (1 tbsp) water
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) chopped fresh basil
- 15 mL(1 tbsp) lemon juice