1. For Fearless Leaders “Gold Lion” by Yeah Yeah Yeahs (Click Here to Listen Now) This brash, grungy tune comes on with a swagger-all kick-drum and cymbal crash-and keeps up the pace for three exhilarating minutes as singer Karen O hoots, cries and conjures a spirit animal to help her see the light.
The next generation of robots is poised to acquire the very thing that makes us human: our empathy.
Thriller writer Andrew Pyper heads into demon territory for The Demonologist, his latest novel.
During the Arab Spring, a Canadian man falls for a revolutionary. The ensuing crackdown puts their future in jeopardy.
The Harper government wants to supercharge the Canadian economy by allowing over 200 tankers a year through the waters off British Columbia. Detractors of the so-called Northern Gateway insist a single oil spill is all it would take to destroy one of the world’s most diverse natural environments. Is the payoff worth the risk?
1. Best literary love stories My Mistress’ Sparrow Is Dead, edited by Jeffrey Eugenides If you appreciate romance but hate schlock, this collection from writers like William Trevor, Miranda July, Vladimir Nabokov and David Bezmozgis will hit their mark.
1. For Titanic lovers “My Heart Will Go On” by Céline Dion (Click Here To Listen Now) When it comes to a great love (and ship) doomed by fate, nothing less will do than the chest-thumping, uvula-rattling strains of Céline’s most powerful power ballad.
1. Keeping Cool Chasing Ice Jeff Orlowski’s film-winner of the People’s Choice Award at last year’s Hot Docs-follows National Geographic photojournalist James Balog as he heads to the Arctic to document the effects of climate change on ancient ice formations. Vogue Theatre, Fernie, B.C., Feb. 4.
Kim and Krickitt Carpenter were set for a lifetime of wedded bliss. Then the unthinkable happened: she forgot who he was.
It takes guts to go up against a werewolf. And if that werewolf happens to be a cop who is not above showing a little fang to get his way? No small thing. Such was Rachel Skarsten’s introduction to the leather-panted, lust-fuelled, good versus evil world of Lost Girl, the fantasy series that has become […]
Whether you’re shopping for your nephew, niece, husband or wife, we’ve picked out the year’s best games, perfect for every type of gamer on your gift list.
1. For your first dance “First Dance” by Justin Bieber (feat. Usher) (Click To Listen Now) Sometimes you need an exercise in literalism to lead you through the steps (pun!) of the task at hand. This twinkly slow jam by the pride of Stratford is a play-by-play of a perfect prom night-complete with Cinderella references, […]
1. Smooth criminals Gangster Squad Originally set for a September release, Ruben Fleischer’s film-noir throwback finally sees the light of day. With a stacked cast that includes Sean Penn, Ryan Gosling, Josh Brolin and Emma Stone, Gangster Squad has positioned itself to be the next L.A. Confidential. In theatres Jan. 11.
1. Best one per cent manual Plutocrats by Chrystia Freeland This buzzy new book about the new super-elite-the world’s most bloated billionaires-combines trenchant social criticism, economic analysis and flagrant voyeurism.
You know your town rocks, so prove it. Here are 13 great reasons to enter our Canada’s Most Interesting Towns Contest today.
Can you hear the people sing? Singing a song of angry men? It’s the sound of Les Misérables facing off against The Hobbit, just two of the monster movies slated for this holiday season.
While away the holiday break with new releases by David Byrne and Grace Coddington, plus old favourites by Hugo and Tolstoy.
With her new French album ‘Sans Attendre’ recently released and a new English language record coming in 2013, discover how the best-selling Canadian singer’s linguistic identities stack up.
Whether you think it’s the most wonderful time of the year or you’re afflicted with a Scrooge-sized case of bah humbugitis, ’tis the season for Yuletide ditties galore.
Not sure what to get this year? Each one of these gifts, from cool clothes, to handy kitchenware and high-tech gadgets, offers something truly unique and memorable.