The nominees for the 82nd annual Academy Awards were announced in February, but don’t let this be your only must-see-movie guide. We asked film critic Richard Crouse of CTV’s Canada AM for his fave flicks from 2009. These are his top ten:
10. Julie & Julia This touching movie mixes and matches the stories of blogger Julie Powell and chef Julia Child. You’ll leave the theatre after this film feeling better than you did going in.
9. Star Trek This film is a lot of things, but science fiction it ain’t. Actually, it’s a buddy picture-Kirk and Spock become friends-with eye-popping action scenes.
8. Precious If the word heartbreaking didn’t exist, it might have been invented to describe Precious, the story of Clareece Jones, a New York City teen with big problems.
7. Fantastic Mr. Fox Stylish stop-motion animation and wonky humour make the flick Fantastic Mr. Fox fantastic, indeed.
6. Up in the Air Director Jason Reitman takes the best of Juno and Thank You for Smoking and combines them into one seamless package.