1. How to check transmission fluid
* Start your vehicle and leave it running. Ensure the car is in park with the emergency brake on.
* Lift the hood and remove the transmission fluid dipstick. (You’ll find it near the firewall at the back of the engine.)
* Using a rag, wipe down the dipstick and replace it.
* Remove the transmission fluid dipstick again, and check the level against the markings. It it reads low, see a transmission specialist immediately.
* Inspect the colour of the transmission fluid, which should be clear and pink. Dark transmission fluid is a sign you’re due for a transmission fluid change.
* Note: Not all vehicles have a transmission dipstick. In these cases, your transmission fluid will have to be checked by an automotive professional.